Building from the legacy of the past eight years, One Rock 2.0 is the new and reimagined One Rock Festival of Faith.
This will be an event exclusively open to young adults’ ages 18-35 (married or single) contained to one day at Calgary’s St. Michael’s Church, on Saturday, September 29, 2018.
The new approach we will use is designed to positively impact our young adults, our parishes, the lay organizations in the diocese working with young adults, the Church and the world. For One Rock 2.0, we are moving to a delegate model of attendance. Every parish in Calgary, each diocese in Alberta and all Catholic lay associations involving young adults are invited to send a delegation to One Rock. We want the experience to be enriching and formative for all in attendance such that they return to their faith communities inspired, challenged and equipped as protagonists in the new evangelization.
- Below is the list of diocesan liturgical calendar of Bishop William T. McGrattan. Unless otherwise noted, the liturgies or prayers are led by Bishop McGrattan. Note that the schedule is subject to change. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Liturgy at 403-218-5511 or 403-218-5524, or e-mail email@example.com
- January 18 - Week of Prayer of Christian Unity - Ambrose University at 11 AM.
- January 19 - School Blessing - Guardian Angels School (CCSD). Fr. Jerome Lavigne presiding.
- January 21 - Relic Pilgrimage of St. Francis Xavier - Mass and Sung Vespers at St. Albert the Great.
- January 22 - School Blessing - Apostles of Jesus (CCSD). Fr. Jerome Lavigne presiding.
- January 25 - School Blessing - Holy Child (CCSD). Fr. Jerome Lavigne presiding.
- January 25 - Week of Prayer of Christian Unity - St. Joseph's Church, Calgary at 7 PM. Fr. Yaroslaw Dziuba presiding.
- January 28 - Parish Closing - Our Lady of the Rockies, Canmore.
- February 17 - Rite of Election - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary at 7:30 PM
- February 18 - Mass for Mark Drapal's Admission to the Ministry of Acolyte, St. Cecilia, Calgary at 9 AM.
- February 18 - Rite of Election - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary at 3:30 PM
- February 20 - Faith Day - Christ the Redeemer School Disrict
- March 20 - 20th Anniversary of St. Albert the Great, Calgary
- March 24 - Mass for the Acies Legion of Mary - St. Patrick, Calgary
- March 25 - Palm Sunday Mass - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- March 26 - Chrism Mass at 7:30 PM - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- March 27 - Mass for Noli Timere Youth Group at St. Mary's University, Calgary
- March 29 - Holy Thursday at 7 PM - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- March 30 - The Outdoor Way of the Cross at St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- March 30 - Good Friday at 3 PM - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- March 31 - Easter Vigil at 8 PM - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- April 1 - Easter Sunday at St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- April 3 - L'Arche Easter Prayer Service, Calgary
- April 4 - Mass at the Man of the Shroud Exhibition - St. Peter's Church, Calgary
- April 7 - Confirmation Mass - St. Augustine/St. Joseph (Taber/Vauxhall)
- April 8 - Divine Mercy Sunday Mass - Holy Spirit Parish, Calgary
- April 11 - Mass - St. Mary's University, Calgary
- April 12 - Institution of Acolyte for Permanent Deacons - St. Albert the Great, Calgary
- April 14 - Confirmation Mass - St. Albert the Great, Calgary
- April 14 - Confirmation Mass - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- April 15 - Confirmation Mass - Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Calgary
- April 15 - Confirmation Mass - St. Albert the Great, Calgary
- April 17 - Confirmation Mass - Ascension, Calgary (at St. Luke's Calgary)
- April 20 - Confrmation Mass - St. Joseph's, Calgary
- April 21 - Confirmation Mass - St. Peter's, Calgary
- April 22 - Confirmation Mass - St. Mary's, Cochrane
- April 25 - Confirmation Mass - St. Bonaventure, Calgary
- April 27 - Confirmation Mass - All Saints Parish, Lethbridge
- April 28 - Confirmation Mass - Sacred Heart Parish, Strathmore
- April 28 - Confirmation Mass - St. Paul's, Airdrie & St. Agnes, Carstairs
- April 29 - Confirmation Mass - Sacred Heart, Calgary
- April 29 - Confirmation Mass - St. Thomas More, Calgary
- April 30 - Mass for CCSSA
- May 3 - Confirmation Mass - St. Pius X & Ascension Parishes, Calgary
- May 4 - Confirmation Mass - St. James, Okotoks
- May 5 - Cconfirmation Mass - St. Mary's Parish, Banff
- May 6 - Confirmation Mass - St. Cecilia, Calgary
- May 6 - Confirmation Mass - St. Michael's, Calgary
- May 8 - Confirmation Mass - Holy Trinity, Calgary
- May 10 - Confirmation Mass - Holy Spirit, Calgary
- May 11 - St. Mary's University Convocation - St. Albert the Great, Calgary
- May 11 - Confirmation Mass - Corpus Christi, Calgary
- May 12 - Confirmation Mass - St. James, Okotoks
- May 12 - Confirmation Mass - St. Vincent Liem, Calgary
- May 13 - Confirmation Mass - Immaculate Conception, Standoff
- May 13 - Confirmation Mass - St. Luke, Calgary
- May 18 - Confirmation Mass - St. Rita's, Rockyford
- May 19 - Confirmation Mass - St. Gabriel the Archangel, Chestermere
- May 20 - Confirmation Mass - Holy Family & St. Patrick Parishes, Medicine Hat
- May 25 - Bishop Kidd School's 50th Anniversary Mass, Calgary
- May 25 - Confirmation Mass - Mary, Mother of the Redeemer, Calgary
- May 26 - Confirmation Mass - St. Gerard, Calgary
- May 26 - Feed the Hungry Blessing - Feed the Hungry Garden in Glenmore, Calgary
- May 27 - Confirmation Mass - Our Lady of Fatima, Calgary
- May 27 - Confirmation Mass - Our Lady Queen of Peace, Calgary
- May 30 - Confirmation Mass - St. Mary's, Brooks
- May 31 - Confirmation Mass - Holy Name, Calgary
- June 10 - Renewal of Promises - Permanent Diaconate - St. Mary's Cathedral
- June 29 - Ordination of Derek Remus to the Priesthood at 7 PM - St. Mary's Cathedral
- July 1 - Consecration of Canada (All Parishes)
- TBD - CRSD Opening - St. James, Okotoks
- TBD - CCSD Opening - BMO Centre
- TBD - Franco Sud Opening - FCJ Centre
- TBD - Priests' Jubilee - St. Anthony
- TBD - StMUC Opening - St. Mary's University
- TBD - UofC Opening - St. Pius X
- Sep 28 - One Rock - St. Michael's, Calgary
- Sep 29 - One Rock - St. Micahel's, Calgary
- Oct 10 - Red Mass - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary.
- TBD - White Mass - St. Anthony, Calgary
- TBD - Blue Mass - St. Cecilia, Calgary
- TBD - Miscarriage Liturgy - Sacred Heart, Calgary
- TBD - CCSD Faith Day - BMO Centre
- Nov 17 - Ordination to the Permanent Diaconate - 7:30 PM St. Mary's Cathedral
- TBD - KofC Memorial - St. Luke's, Calgary
- TBD - Red Mass - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- TBD - CWL 75th Anniversary - St. James, Okotoks
- Rejoice in God's Mercy - each Wednesday of Advent 2018
- TBD - StMUC Patron Day Mass - St. Mary's University
- Dec 24 - Christmas Mass - St. Mary's Cathedral
- Jan 13 - Migrant & Refugee Mass - Holy Spirit Parish (to be confirmed) and all parishes
- Rejoice in God's Mercy - each Wednesday of Lent 2018
- Mar 6 - Ash Wednesday - St. Mary's Cathedral
- Mar 9 - Rite of Election - St. Mary's Cathedral
- Mar 10 - Rite of Election - St. Mary's Cathedral
- TBD - StMUC end of term Mass - St. Mary's University
- Apr 15 - Chrism Mass - 7:30 PM St. Mary's Cathedral
- April 17 - Holy Thursday - St. Mary's Cathedral
- April 18 - Good Friday - St. Mary's Cathedral
- April 19 - Easter Vigil - St. Mary's Cathedral
- April 20 - Easter Sunday - St. Mary's Cathedral
The word that most comes to mind, following the One Rock Festival of Faith, is joy. This makes sense, when you look at the weekend. What is there not to be joyful about? The musicians were phenomenal, the speakers were thought-provoking, and the Masses were breathtaking. But the joy that was felt at One Rock comes from a deeper place, from more than just an experience, or an event, or a talk. The joy that was palpable among attendees at One Rock can only come from One – from God.
Similar to Mary, during the One Rock weekend, I realized how much God has done for me, how truly blessed I am and how tremendous His love is for me. I think that many people realized the same for themselves. We had the opportunity to spend an entire weekend praising God, attending Mass, hearing about conversion experiences, learning about the love that God has for each of us. What an incredibly blessed way to spend a weekend!
Someone asked how we judge the success of an event such as One Rock. My mind instantly thought about the number of tickets sold, the number of people in attendance, number of volunteers… By these criteria, One Rock was truly a success! But pondering this later, I came to realize that the success of a large event like this one is to be judged by something else, something greater. Was there joy? Did even one person come to experience the love of God in their lives, and did that in turn lead them to the joy of the Gospel, the joy that we, as Catholics, live and seek? If one person had an experience of their faith that led them closer to Christ, the “One Rock” of our lives, then the festival was an overwhelming success.
If joy is an accurate criterion, then the joy felt throughout the Festival of Faith speaks for itself. There were so many smiles and so much laughter and fun during the music events. You could have heard a pin drop during the talks as everyone listened intently. The beautiful Adoration Chapel always had people inside, visiting with Our Lord, present in the Blessed Sacrament. The beautiful play, in celebration of Our Lady of Fatima, left many people in awe. The many acts, performances, and activities throughout One Rock are too many to mention, but each one played a part in making One Rock an unforgettable, and truly joyous, experience.
“For the Mighty One has done great things for me, and Holy is His Name.” The Mighty One indeed did a many great things at One Rock. Only by trusting in Him did we host this festival, and only with His grace could the immense joy be felt throughout the weekend. What is left now is for us to praise God, and be grateful for the many gifts he bestowed upon us.
Bishop McGrattan consecrated the Diocese of Calgary to the Immaculate Heart of Mary on Saturday, July 1, 2017, with a celebration of Eucharist, Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and Rosary prayers.
The Diocese of Calgary thanks all the liturgical ministers involved and the staff at St. Mary's Cathedral for their assistance. A special thank you for God Squad Canada for preparing the delicious barbeque for everyone!
Created with flickr slideshow.
If the slideshow does not play in your browser, please view directly in the Flickr Photo Album here.
Photography: Victor Panlilio
Hundreds came and celebrate the World Day of Migrants with Bishop McGrattan on the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, June 29, 2017. Bishop McGrattan led everyone in prayer with a celebration of Eucharist, followed by a reception of international potluck at the parish hall.
The Diocese of Calgary thanks the Calgary Catholic Immigration Society for their involvement and generous donation, all the liturgical ministers, participating communities and choirs, and the generous donations of food at the reception! It was truly a feast! Thank you everyone!
Created with flickr slideshow.
If the slideshow does not work in your browser, please view directly in Flickr photo album here.
Photography: Fr. Mariusz Sztuk, SDS