Building from the legacy of the past eight years, One Rock 2.0 is the new and reimagined One Rock Festival of Faith.
This will be an event exclusively open to young adults’ ages 18-35 (married or single) contained to one day at Calgary’s St. Michael’s Church, on Saturday, September 29, 2018.
The new approach we will use is designed to positively impact our young adults, our parishes, the lay organizations in the diocese working with young adults, the Church and the world. For One Rock 2.0, we are moving to a delegate model of attendance. Every parish in Calgary, each diocese in Alberta and all Catholic lay associations involving young adults are invited to send a delegation to One Rock. We want the experience to be enriching and formative for all in attendance such that they return to their faith communities inspired, challenged and equipped as protagonists in the new evangelization.
Every two years, the Canadian Catholic Youth Ministry Network (CCYMN) organizes a national conference for those involved in Youth Ministry. CCYMN is the association of Catholic Directors of Youth Ministry from across Canada.
This conference is to equip those involved in the formation of youth. That means youth ministers, volunteers, parents, priests, grandparents, leaders in movements, ministries, schools, parishes, Knights of Columbus, CWL, and teachers!
This year keynote speaker is Chris Stefanick.
For more information please visit http://www.ccymn.ca/conference-2018.html
Coming to Canada Monday, April 30, 2018
This documentary by British filmmaker Randall Wright explores the vision of Jean Vanier and life in L’Arche. The film is set in L’Arche Trosly (France) and L’Arche Bethlehem with reflections by Jean Vanier.
For over 50 years, L'Arche founder Jean Vanier’s vision has inspired countless people around the world to discover what it means to be human and live together in peace. In this film, the witness of his life and the profound joy that Vanier shares in his community after all these years give added power to his words.
From critical and audience response in the UK and US, we know that Summer in the Forest is connecting deeply with people unfamiliar with the lives of people with intellectual disabilities as well as those who are. It’s clear that Vanier’s vision of humanity and the witness of L’Arche are as significant as ever.
Bishop McGrattan made the following announcements on Friday, February 23, 2018:
- Very Rev. John Schuster has announced his retirement from the position of Moderator of the Curia, which will become effective at the time of the pastoral moves in August, 2018. Fr. Schuster will continue to serve the Diocese of Calgary as Vicar General. Fr. Schuster has worked at the Catholic Pastoral Centre as Moderator of the Curia and Vicar General since 1989. Fr. Schuster was born in Cliftonville, Saskatchewan and ordained to the priesthood on May 1, 1965 by Archbishop Jordan. Fr. Schuster has served at the Catholic Pastoral Centre and several parishes of the Calgary Diocese as Pastor and Assistant Pastor. Additionally, his brother priests have elected him to the positions of Dean and Vice Dean. Fr. Schuster is a respected priest in the Diocese whose ministry has supported the growth of the Diocese and its faithfulness. He is a well-loved presence at the Catholic Pastoral Centre known for his empathy, quick wit, and short meetings. Fr. Schuster says, “I have happily and obediently served five Bishops and seen the growth of the Diocese over that time. It is a blessing in my life to have had the opportunity to serve as Moderator of the Curia and I will continue to support Bishop McGrattan and Fr. Wilbert Chin Jon in my role as Vicar General.” Bishop McGrattan expressed his deep appreciation for Fr. Schuster’s work saying, “Fr. Schuster has been a constant and faithful servant for the Diocese of Calgary. I am personally grateful for his support in my transition to the Diocese of Calgary and I thank Fr. Schuster for his willingness to continue sharing his knowledge of the Diocese and experience as Vicar General.”
- Rev. Wilbert Chin Jon will be appointed as Moderator of the Curia for the Diocese of Calgary effective August 1, 2018. Fr. Chin Jon was born in the Philippines and ordained to the priesthood at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Calgary in 2004. He has an undergraduate degree in Mass Communication from the Ateneo de Davao University, a Jesuit university in the Philippines, and a Master of Divinity degree from St. Peter’s Seminary in London, Ontario. Fr. Chin Jon has fourteen years of experience in parish ministry as Associate, Administrator and Pastor. Fr. Chin Jon was Pastor of Our Lady of the Rockies in Canmore from 2015 until the present. As of April 13, 2018, Fr. Chin Jon will reside at St. Bernard’s/Our Lady of the Assumption in Calgary and administrate the parish until the time of the pastoral moves when he will assume the full-time role of Moderator of the Curia for the Diocese of Calgary. He will also begin a period of orientation at the Diocesan Pastoral Centre under the direction of Bishop William McGrattan and Fr. John Schuster.
- Fr. Nathan Siray is appointed as Pastor at Our Lady of the Rockies in Canmore effective April 13, 2018. Fr. Siray was born in Calgary and ordained to the priesthood in 2011. He received his Master of Divinity degree from St. Augustine’s Seminary in Toronto. Most recently since 2015, Fr. Siray served as Pastor at St. Bernard’s/Our Lady of the Assumption in Calgary. On December 3, 2017, Bishop McGrattan announced the designation of the new church, Our Lady of the Rockies, as a Diocesan Marian Shrine, taking effect on the consecration of the new church building. Fr. Siray will pastorally lead this vision for the new church in his appointment at Our Lady of the Rockies Parish.
- Lenten Mission with Fr. Eugene O'Reilly at St. Pius X Parish, Calgary
When: Monday, February 26 to Thursday, March 1, from 7:30 to 8:30 pm
Where: St. Pius X Parish, 2424 - 24 AVE NW, Calgary
Speaker: Father Eugene O’Reilly, CSsR
- Lenten Mission with Peter Thompson at St. Joseph, Calgary
When: Monday to Wednesday (March 5, 6 & 7) at 7 pm (Holy Mass at teach night).
Where: St. Joseph's Parish, 640 19th Ave NW, Calgary
Speaker: Peter Thompson
- Divine Mercy Lenten Mission at St. Michael Catholic Community, Calgary
When: Tuesdays March 6, 13, and Thursday, March 22, beginning with Mass at 7 pm each night
Where: St. Michael's Church at 800 85 St SW, Calgary, AB
Speakers: Fr. Jerome Lavigne, Fr. Cristino Bouvette, and Sharon van der Sloot.
- Lenten Mission "Stripped Away" with Michael Chiasson (Access 52)
When: Wednesday March 7, 2018 at 7 pm
Where: St. Bernadette's Church at 7103 - 20A St. SE, Calgary, AB
Speakers: Michael Chiasson from Access 52
- Lenten Mission with Fr. Julian Studden at Mary, Mother of the Redeemer Parish, Calgary
When: Sunday, March 11 (begins with Mass at 11 AM), and Monday to Wednesday (March 12, 13, 14) at 7 pm each night.
Where: Mary, Mother of the Redeemer Church at 1714 14 Ave NE, Calgary
Speaker: Father Julian Studden
- Lenten Mission with Sr. Madeleine Gregg, fcj at St. Gerard's Church, Calgary
When: Sat, March 17 to Tue, March 20 (Contact St. Gerard's Parish Office for details)
Where: St. Gerard's Church
Speaker: Sr. Madeleine Gregg, fcj
Information: https://stgerards.ca/lent-2018 or contact 403-253-2251
If you would like to share your Lenten Mission information with us, please e-mail: email@example.com